Millions of people in the United Kingdom expose themselves, friends and family to potentially fatal electrical accidents in the home by making simple blunders. This is often down to a lack of knowledge about the dangers of electricity. It’s important that you make sure electrical installation at your property is well maintained and it’s recommended that you use a registered electrician to check that it is safe.
Here are some simple, visual checks, that you can carry out yourself:
1. Always switch off your electrical items when they are not in use.
2. Check that your light fittings are not visibly damaged and that dimmer switches (down-lighters) are in good working condition.
3. Make sure that your plug sockets and extension cables are not overloaded.
4. Ensure that plugs and sockets are not damaged.
5. Check that visible cables and leads are in good condition.
6. Never trail cables under carpets or rugs.
7. Check that you have RCD protection (trip switch safety) in your fusebox.
8. Never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom.
9. Don’t use the top of the microwave for extra storage.
10. Check that you are not storing combustible materials around your fusebox, electricity meter or electrical in-stake.
Remember, if you are unsure about anything – get it checked over.
Give me a call on my mobile 07985 6399345 or Landline 01623 411474.